May – The Silent Cop

THE SILENT COP at Ballina and Byron Streets intersection was approved for installation by Tintenbar Shire Council in May 1958. The road was sealed around the same time. Our silent cop, traffic dome or sleeping policeman remains one of the very few still gracing roadways, as around the 1980s they were deemed hazardous to motor cyclists, removed and often replaced by traffic lights.

Source: LHHC Photo: LHHC collection