Words and images by Robyn Hargrave
‘Lennox Head’ was the name initially bestowed on Ballina’s Lighthouse Hill (North Head) by Captain Henry Rous in 1828 in honour of the Duke of Richmond and Lennox
However, Lennox Head subsequently ‘shifted’ some 10 kilometres north to its present headland location, seemingly from a mapping error in the late 19th century.
By 1885 James Hodgkinson was the Headland’s first selector under the 1861 Sir John Robertson Land Act. Indicating commitment to agricultural enterprises, settlers were obliged to clear their land. Timber was used also to construct farm buildings. Until the State Government’s acquisition in the mid 1970s, cattle continued grazing on the property.
Surfers have found a haven at Lennox Point for over half a century, even when access through the dairy farm raised the ire of landholders. Now, the area is signified as a National Surfing Reserve. Hang and para gliders drift over where cows grazed. Thanks to the efforts of the Lennox Head Coast and Land Care groups, Ballina Shire Council and interested volunteers, the Headland has again taken on a coverage of native plants interspersed by walkways for all to enjoy.
References: Margaret Henderson, From North Creek to Lennox Head, Lismore, September 1997; Glen Hall, Port Of Richmond River Ballina 1840s to 1980s, Lismore, 1983
Should readers have further information on this or other Landmarks of Lennox for inclusion in the series, please contact Robyn Hargrave on phone 0412 660 994 or email at email@example.com.